Cherokee Rose

Friday, September 11, 2009

Arts and Funerals

I got back from Caseville yesterday and today I spent the afternoon at the Detroit Institute of Arts. Actually my original intent was to go to the Detroit Science Center and see the Star Trek Exhibit again. BUT after I drove down there and parked my car for five bucks, I found that it was closed today to the public. BUMMER! They apparently were having an end of the season staff party or something and I couldn't pass for an employee (!), so I asked the guy what else is there to see around that area and he reminded me that the DIA was right across the street. So since I already paid for parking I decided to get some art culture in for the day.

There is so much to see that I didn't get a chance to see everything on this trip. I didn't want to rush through it. There are 3 floors of various exhibits. I saw a mummy! I saw some works of Picasso and the self-portrait of Van Gogh. There was american indian exhibits, african american exhibits, european, american, contempory, modern exhibits....also, ancient greek and roman, asian and egyptian; and they had a special exhibit of photography. I didn't even finish the 2nd floor and I never got to the 3rd floor. So I'll definitely have to go down there again.
_____________________________

When I got to Caseville, my neighbor next door told us that the neighbor on the other side of her died! He was only 53. We met him during my garage sale and he was going to buy my telescope but he never did come over with the money. Guess he won't be needing it now. And another lady that we knew through bingo died. She had been battling colon cancer for quite awhile. She had a real nice funeral. They carried the casket in a glass-enclosed carriage type hearse driven by two horses to the cemetery from the church.

Then I learned that George died! George was the guy who celebrated his 90th birthday at the Eagles last year. I have a good picture of him, his wife and myself. He was a truly nice heart-and-soul kind of guy. He use to love to sit with all the women and play the pull-tab games with us. He called us his "harem"...haha. A couple times when nobody else showed up except him and I we spent a few hours just talking. He told me all about his life during those conversations. He was a WWII vet. A few years back there was a special tribute to the veterans of WWII in Washington DC and someone called him and made arrangements for him to go and he said it was the best time. He was amazed at all the people/strangers who came up to him and "thanked him" for his service. He was so touched. I last saw him in the Cheeseburger Parade on a float with WWII veterans a month ago. His health was failing and he didn't get out much after that. He had a nice funeral, a military salute, an Eagles ritual and a great luncheon at the Eagles afterwards. I'll miss him.

1 Comments:

  • At 10:46 PM, Blogger Judy said…

    Glad you had a good time at the DIA--I don't get into Detroit too much. Sorry about the funerals, but so nice that George lived so long. The really old people have such good stories to tell.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Free Web Site Counter