Cherokee Rose

Wednesday, September 02, 2009

"The Crossing"

I am currently reading the book "The Crossing" by Taylor Joseph. It's a fiction/young adult book which makes it an easy read (just love those type of books!). It's about a young 12 year old mexican girl who is living in poverty in Mexico with her widowed mother. Between the little work that the two can find, they barely get by. Then her world is turned upside down and she is separated from her mother and ends up in a child services home and everything seems hopeless. Her only hope is to be reunited with her mother. She hopes for a better life in the United States, but crossing the border illegally may be the price she has to pay for a stable home and security. It's a story about a girl's strength and determination for survival, freedom and a better life.

I guess I'm plugging this book because the author, Taylor Joseph, is the 16 year old daughter of friends of mine. They own one of the cottages at the condominium where our condo apartment is. It is at their cottage that my son keeps his jet ski. Their daughter is a very talented writer. She wrote "The Crossing" when she was only 15.

She also has a second book out called "Allison Investigates". It's about a girl who wants to become a detective and gets involved in a mystery. It's kind of a Nancy Drew type of book. I'm going to read that next.

She did a book signing during the Cheeseburger festival and I bought both of her books and she signed them. She is a very nice, sweet girl who also happens to be very talented.

Tomorrow I'm off to Caseville and will probably be seeing them. Larry, her father, is anxious for me to read her book. He says that I will be very impressed. I'm about half way through and Yes, I'm very impressed! I'll be gone for a week and will be back by next Thursday. That weekend, Plymouth is having their Fall Festival and the following weekend is my high school class reunion. So I'll be busy before I can get up there again.

I think hubby is coming up....not sure. I hope so, cause I want us to go to the Eagles on Saturday. And I bought a cabinet for the condo that I need him to put together for me. And besides, it will probably be the last time it will be summer weather up there to enjoy.

Last year during Labor Day weekend was when Lucky first got real sick and I thought we were going to lose him. I remember sleeping on the couch with him and watching the Jerry Lewis Telethon. It was a bad weekend last year. I'm trying not to dwell on it.

And it's kind of weird that Lucky had those enlarged lymph node glands in his neck and now I have this pain in my neck this year. Maybe it is really just all in my head.
__________________________

The Star Trek Exhibition has been extended to Sept. 13. I may go see it again when I get back!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Free Web Site Counter