Cherokee Rose

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Did some Star-Trekkin' today...

At the Detroit Science Center they have been having a Star Trek Exhibition there all summer and it ends on Sept 7. So today I finally got down there to see it. I would have loved to have seen it with my oldest son who is a big ST fan, but when he came to Michigan the end of July for a week to visit friends, he never bothered to call or even come see us....so today I went by myself. It was a really fantastic exhibition! I was there for over 2 hours. They had memorabilia and re-creations of sets from the Star Trek films and TV series. They had everything from all the different costumes, to the various ship models, to a set design of the Original Series Bridge and I even sat in the captain's chair. The hallway was designed like the real hallway of the ship and there was a set display of Capt. Picards living quarters. And, of course, the transporter room.....and I stood on it and I could see myself on this TV screen and then the ST worker there "energized" me and I could see myself disappear and then reappear again.....kind of scary....haha. There were tons of plaques on the walls with various information that you had to read, but it was all very interesting and it tied in Star Trek with real NASA stuff of today. The last display was where they go from the very beginning of the timeline from Captain Archer (2151) to Capt. Kirk (2254) to Captain Picard (2364)to Capt. Sisko (2369)to Capt. Janeway (2371) and intermingling with all 11 movies ending with the current Star Trek movie. And now I read that they are going to make another ST movie with Scott Bakula, Patrick Stewart and William Shatner....COOL!!

I also read that the exhibition will next be in San Jose Oct. 23....I'm glad I found the time to see it. It was well worth the money.

4 Comments:

  • At 10:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    what!? could you please elaborate on the movie with 'The Captains'

     
  • At 9:55 AM, Blogger Happy Housewife said…

    I've realy been wanting to see this but Rich wont drive down there.

    I can't wait for the most recent movie to come out on DVD.. I LOVED that movie so much I saw 4 times!

     
  • At 11:41 AM, Blogger Diane said…

    I just noticed that the article was dated Dec., 2005! You can find it by googling 'Star Trek Captains' though.

     
  • At 11:45 AM, Blogger Diane said…

    HH...Get Rich to take you before it's gone forever! Tip: The public parking is right behind the DSC on Fort St. I drove in circles trying to find it. Course, it didn't help that Fort St is a one-way!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Free Web Site Counter