Cherokee Rose

Sunday, November 16, 2008

A long, long time ago.....

Five months after we lost our precious Casey I went to the mall to browse around. They had a pet store there and I justed wanted "to look" at the puppies. I missed Casey so much that it helped heal the pain to look and hold puppies, so I went often to a lot of pet stores. I had no intentions of trying to replace him. He was so special and his passing left a huge void in our lives, our home and our hearts. I was sure that I could never ever love another dog like I loved Casey. I felt that it just wouldn't be fair to even bring another dog into our home cause there is no way another dog could replace Casey in our hearts. But I just wanted to "look" at the puppies and smell their sweet puppiness and stroke their fur. I also believed that maybe Casey would be born again in another new healthy body. I told him before he passed away that if he did, I would find him. I would look into every puppies eyes and I would know if it was him. I wanted to believe that.

Anyway, this particular day I went into the pet store at the mall and saw a cute, fluffy black ball of fur sitting inside this big cage. I looked at him...and he looked at me. Something clicked in his eyes. I saw something special that I wasn't seeing with any of the other puppies in all the other pet stores. I went back another day to look at him....and back another day....and another day. I took my husband to go and "just look" at him. He saw something special as well. My husband noticed that his birthday was 7/11....and he said "well, we'd have to name him Lucky!"....so everytime I would go see him or talk about him I called him Lucky.

About a month and a half later, the end of October....I was going to leave for Caseville for a couple weeks. I went to the pet store to see "Lucky" before I left. I felt so sad for him that he still hadn't gotten an adopted forever home yet, and that he was spending his puppyhood in a cage in a pet store. I so badly wanted him to have a good home. But I had decided that I was not getting another dog cause it just wouldn't be fair and I didn't want to go through losing another dog....cause the pain is just too great. But I looked into his eyes and saw that something special looking back at me. I made him a promise. I promised him that when I come back in two weeks and if he is still there, then he's coming home with me.

While I was in Caseville I had a dream about Casey and I was crying. I called my husband to tell him about it, and he said that was strange cause that morning when he got up the picture of Casey that was on the wall in the family room had fallen to the floor....very weird considering that I have never had a picture just fall off the wall before. I took that as a sign from Casey that he was trying to tell me to move on and it was okay to love another dog.

When I returned from Caseville in November I couldn't get to the pet store fast enough. I walked in and looked in his cage but he wasn't there! Oh no!! I guess he finally got adopted. I felt sad but also glad for him. I shopped around in the stores, but before I left something made me go back inside the pet store. OMG!...there he was...in his cage. I asked the clerk why he was gone before. She said he was getting shots at the vet. He is still waiting for his forever home.

I went home and didn't know how to tell hubby I decided to buy him. I figured he had resigned himself to the fact that there would be no more dogs and maybe he liked it like that. So I casually mentioned how I went to the pet store and how "Lucky" was still there. Then later when we were laying on the couch watching TV I told him about the promise I made him before I left for Caseville. Hubby said "I didn't think you wanted another dog and didn't want to spend that much money."....I told him that I didn't care about the money....I just wanted him. Hubby got up and just walked out of the room. I just laid there feeling so sad cause I didn't think he wanted to get him. Then he walked back into the family room with his jacket on and simply said "Let's go get him!" My heart soared and I ran and got my coat and we drove as fast as we could. By then I was so scared that he would really be gone when we got there.

We walked in and ran to his cage and he was still there!! So on November 5, 1996 we took Lucky home with us. He got his forever home. He got love like you wouldn't believe!! I believe in miracles and my miracle was Lucky.

1 Comments:

  • At 4:14 PM, Blogger Happy Housewife said…

    What a sweet story. It just goes to show we are meant to have certain dogs. My heart is stil breaking for you guys. Hang in there.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Free Web Site Counter