Cherokee Rose

Monday, October 31, 2005

Happy All Hollows Eve

So Happy Halloween everybody....Halloween is probably the most pagan holiday of them all...and all holidays are pagan as far as that goes; but Halloween is the most fun! My husband and I dressed up in these scary outfits and tried to scare our dogs...haha...Lucky hid under the couch, but Mini Sue kinda figured it was us. She laid on her back for her belly to be scratched! I bought a pumpkin and carved it out, and I baked up the pumpkin seeds...and lit candles everywhere....ooooooooo, scary. We don't get any kids where we live, so we kinda miss out on that part of it.

I'm going to make my famous "bread and butter pickles" tomorrow. The recipe is from my grandmother and she showed me how to make them ages ago. So I bought the pickling cucumbers, sliced them up, sliced up onions, and I have them sitting in this huge pot with ice cubes and salt overnight. My grandmother always weighed them down with a big rock over a plate....and her directions on the recipe says to "weigh down", so my husband always brings a rock in from outdoors and we "weigh it down". I don't know if it really has much to do with the recipe, but I'm convinced if I don't do it, the pickles won't turn out right.

So tomorrow I'll go to the store and buy a few of the ingredients I need and make up a batch of pickles....That's about it...nite

3 Comments:

  • At 12:03 AM, Blogger JUST A MOM said…

    Do you cook the batch and then stuff it in the jars and then seal and pop them???? I want some. I miss canning!! and freezing!!! wwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

     
  • At 1:24 PM, Blogger Kim said…

    If Jaye ends up with your recipe, I hope she sends it to me... Gosh I miss the days when my great grandma would make those and bring some over!

     
  • At 1:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    will you email it to me too please please please??? I made pickeled onions recently. they are awesome. If you are interested, I'll email that receipe back to you.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Free Web Site Counter