Cherokee Rose

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

KENO'S Home!

We finally got our boy, Keno...and I've been so busy with him I haven't had time to post or do much else. He is so damn cute and adorable!

When we got to the foster mom's house her friend came in carrying him. When I reached out to pet him, he yanked away scared. He is very timid and shy with strangers and it takes him awhile to warm up.

Brenda explained that he came from this lady's house who was a hoarder. She has probably 20 dogs...Pomeranians and Chihuahuas mainly. She just lets them breed and has intentions of selling the pups but ends up keeping them all. They have rescued over 10 of the dogs so far with her permission. She wants them to find them homes. She keeps track on the computer as to which ones have been adopted so far. She told them his name is Keno (and he certainly knows his name), and he was about 1 1/2 years old. Personally, I think he is much younger, more puppylike, and I'm hoping my vet can tell better when she examines him.

They got him all updated on all his shots, and I have his rabies certificate. They also had him neutered and microchipped. So I really don't have to do much except just take him to my vet for a first visit and get his records on record there and mainly get his heartworm preventions meds so he can continue in April. He is all set for March with his heartworm pill. Some of the dogs they rescued from the groups tested Positive for heartworm and had to get meds to clear it up before they can be adopted. Keno was okay, so he is just on the regular monthly prevention.

He was very lovable with his foster mom....jumping up on her lap and cuddling. He has been with her for about 6 weeks and I'm sure he thinks that his is home and she is his mom. She said it will take time for him to adjust and to not push things with him or it will scare him more. We had to sign these adoption papers for him and give her a check for $250 which is really cheap considering everything that has already been done for him. Their fees barely cover the costs they put into the dogs. They mainly just want to find them good homes. That is their priority....not making money.

We brought a crate and she put him in the crate. When we got home, we carried the crate in the house and opened the door. He ran out all scared and ran through the house, and we opened the back door and he ran out looking for an escape route! He came back inside and basically hid under my end table next to my chair all night. He didn't eat much or drink much. By evening, I was sneaking my hand down and petting him. I didn't try to pick him up just sneaking in little pets until he got more comfortable with that. Then I could pet him more and more.

By Monday he was being a little more friendly and when I was on the floor petting Mini Sue and playing with her, he came out and sat by me like he wanted the same thing. So I started petting him and gently picked him up. Later he was sitting on both our laps! He is a real cuddler. Eveytime I sit down, he jumps up on my lap and follows me around all over the house. He's here next to my computer wanting attention. I have to work today, so I hope he is fine with my husband. When I went to the pet store yesterday, he said that Keno kept looking for me.

The one think we really have to watch out with him is that he is a climber....not just climbs over baby gates but apparently he also knows how to climb cyclone fences! He puts his little feet in the holes and climbs and then jumps down on the other side. NOT A GOOD THING. So we really have to keep an eye on him when he is outside and if he even starts to do that, we have to discourage it big time. I don't want to have to worry about him getting out of the yard; and especially in Caseville!

Yep....he's a little pistol and we have our hands full!...but we're lovin' it!!

3 Comments:

  • At 11:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am sooooo glad you got him and he is having a good time at your home. How is Mini Sue taking it all?

     
  • At 6:12 PM, Blogger Happy Housewife said…

    I was wondering about Mini too, is she happy to have him around?!
    I'm glad it sounds like things are going well! Yeah!

     
  • At 10:46 PM, Blogger Diane said…

    Mini Sue is liking him. She tries to play with him and wags her tail. We took her with us when we picked him up, so she was part of it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Free Web Site Counter