Cherokee Rose

Thursday, March 05, 2009

Keno is almost ours....

I'm getting excited. I think we are going to be getting Keno. Things look good. Yesterday I decided to also email the application to make sure that somebody got it, and I sent a letter with it explaining more in detail about us and why we thing Keno would be perfect for us. So today I got a phone call from his foster mom who lives in Ann Arbor. She was telling me how Keno had actually been adopted by a single lady who lived in a condo in Sterling Heights, but it didn't work out and she ended up bringing him back. She wanted me to know that Keno is very shy and doesn't adjust to strangers very easily and that it may take time for him to warm up and that he needs a loving and very patient home. And because of his breed (Chihuahua and Pomeranian) he can be a little nippy when he gets scared. That is one reason why the other lady brought him back. I guess he tried to bite her. Well no wonder! He was scared to death. I'm sure he thinks of his foster home as his home and all of a sudden some lady takes him away and expects him to cuddle with her. She said that she had told the lady to not push things with him but she kept pushing it and he rebelled. Then he ran out of the condo out in the rain in the dark and the lady couldn't get him to come to her, and she was afraid to reach out and pick him up cause she was afraid he would bite her again. So she called his foster mom who had to drive there and get Keno to come to her.

The lady I spoke to says that she feels that he would do better in a home where there is another small dog and with someone who is familiar with his breed. And that is US! We have owned 3 Pomeranians and a Chihuahua so we definitely understand the breed. Pomeranians can be very temperamental. I know that. Casey use to bite me all the time when he didn't feel like me touching him or picking him up, etc. And even Lucky had his days, although he was a much more socialable and loving dog for a Pom. Everything the lady told me about Keno was exactly everything I already know and expect.

Poor little guy is just so confused right now. I am guessing that some family originally got him and they probably had kids, and when his pomeranian temperament came out and nipped at one of the kids, they got rid of him. I know that his bio indicated "no kids". I totally understand that. Both Casey and Lucky were not very good around kids. So now he is with his foster mom and thinks it's his home and then he gets shuffled off again with a lady who doesn't understand him and has no patience. Well, that is for a reason. Cause he is meant to be with us. That's why fate guided me to look at Petfinders Saturday and my heart jumped when I saw his picture.

Okay...so anyway....she is going to call and check things out with our vet, and then find someone who lives closer to us to come and do the 'home inspection', and then if everything looks good, then Sunday my husband and I are going to drive out Sunday to her house and meet him.

They also do these pet adoptions at pet stores. Currently, he is scheduled to appear at the Petco one in Ann Arbor on Saturday. I was thinking of going but Mini Sue has her class Saturday unless I went early. But the lady said that it isn't positive that he will be there, and she would prefer that we meet him at her house on Sunday where it will be less stressful for him.

I'm sure that everything will check out good and we will be getting him, and it may take awhile for him to adjust, but he will be fine. She said that once he gets to trust you that he just loves kisses and to be cuddled, so he really is a very affectionate dog....but he needs to trust you and feel secure first. And that is a good thing. He shouldn't trust strangers. I don't want Mini Sue to trust strangers either. If she ever got loose and some people in a car saw her and wanted to take her, I would want her to bark, bite and RUN!

This rescue place really tries to find the right home for the right dog. They don't have an on-site place where all the dogs are kept in cages. All the dogs are in foster homes where they are taken care of and loved. She has Keno, Rowdy and some puppies right now in her home. Most places, like the pet stores and breeders, don't care where the dogs go. As long as you got the money, anybody can take them. This place is different. They have a very long application that asks a lot of questions. They check out your vet to make sure that the dog will get proper vet care when needed. They check out your home and the environment that the dog will be living. They interview you. It's almost like adopting a real child...haha.

I have to work tomorrow so I'm hoping that the home inspection will be after 6:00 tomorrow or Saturday. And I'm hoping that we can take him home with us on Sunday. I told Mini Sue about him and how she will be a 'big sister' now. She doesn't look too enthused. She will need some adjusting time also, I know. I am just so excited!!!!

1 Comments:

  • At 10:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I sure hope you get Keno. Your home is exactly what he needs to live a wonderful and rich life.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Free Web Site Counter