Cherokee Rose

Monday, October 17, 2005

A step back in Time.....

I ate a whole pint of ice cream tonight....now I feel guilty....but it was good!

Years ago when my sons were small we use to take an annual boat ride to Bob-Lo Island on one of the Bob-Lo boats. It was always fun and exciting. I loved the boat ride there and back and of course the rides were thrilling. The kids just loved it. The island got all screwed up with mismanagement and closed down. They had stopped the boat rides a couple years earlier because of all the problems they sometimes had on the boats with some of the gang-type people that always seem to ruin a good thing for everyone else. Anyway, one of the boats...the St. Claire...has been docked in River Rouge since August for touring. Sunday my hus and I went to see it. It was so nostalgic being on that boat again after all these years. It was also a bit eerie cause there was hardly anyone there and we basically had the boat to ourselves to just walk around and reminisce. It was also eerie because they have it all decked up in a Halloween scary theme because on the weekends they are also having a "Haunted Boat" thing going on til Halloween. So they have all these cobwebs and skeletons everywhere. On the level where they have the dance floor and bandstand, they have these skeletons playing instruments and skeletons sitting around tables. It gave me kind of a "Titanic" feeling.

The boat was buit in 1910 and stopped running in 1991, so there have been many generations of people who have ridden on her and most are probably now dead...so the skeletons kinda reminded me of all the "souls" that have ridden on her.

I remember taking a midnight cruise down the Detroit River on either that boat or maybe the other bob-lo boat, the Columbia, once when I was dating some guy way back when. We didn't see the Columbia....they say that she is docked near there, but is in very bad shape and is shrink-wrapped for protection from the environments. The new owners of the St. Clair are hoping to get the boat restored and on the river again for people. I hope so. I'll be the first in line....as much as I am afraid of boats, I always loved riding on one of the Bob-Lo boats.

1 Comments:

  • At 2:04 AM, Blogger JUST A MOM said…

    Hey I rode those,,, I am not dead!! Man we went every year when I was little, our whole family went. It was cool. Sad they closed it down.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Free Web Site Counter