Cherokee Rose

Thursday, October 04, 2007

Meet Brinks....



....or Binks as I also call the little guy. He is a pigeon that flew into my son's Brinks truck windshield. My son got out of the truck and put him in some bushes hoping he would be okay. After work, my son went back and he was still there and it was pouring down rain so he brought him to MY HOUSE!! This was Monday. I was still in Caseville and had no idea. I just got home yesterday and noticed a big bag of wildbird seed and the utility room doors were closed up so I asked my hubby what's up. He just opened the door and told me to look inside. There on the floor in a box was this little pigeon with his broken wing. Poor little guy.

Today I got down the dog crate that I use to use for my dogs when they were puppies and put him in there. We got water in there and lots of food. He ate some bird seed that I gave him in a cup. Tonight he wouldn't eat though....maybe he's full. We had the crate outside on the patio table all day and he seemed to like that better than the utility room. At least he could see the trees and smell the air and hear the other birds. He's seems content.

We've been trying to find a wildlife rehabilitation place to take him to. I called my vet, and they gave me a number of another vet that does birds, but they only do domestic birds. Apparently you have to be registered with the DNR to nurse wildlife birds. There's a place in Howell, but the website says he is 15 years old but he knows what he's doing.....I have doubts. I called this one number we found on the internet and left a message but nobody has returned my call. There's another place I will call tomorrow even though it's far to drive. Who the hell takes care of poor birds with broken wings????

So now I have 3 dogs and a bird......not sure how I'm going to get the bird and the dogs all in one car for the next trip to Caseville in a couple weeks. I'm sure that feathers and fur will be flying.

2 Comments:

  • At 8:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    CALL THE NATURE CENTER in Howell!!!!
    They know what they are doing!!!!
    If not, let me know...my brother in law's girl friend is nursing a wild bird that got hurt in the tornado and she's knows what to do. She feeds him pured(sp?) berries.
    It's awesome that you are hleping the little guy! :-)))

     
  • At 12:25 PM, Blogger Diane said…

    Holly....I was so excited to see your suggestion, BUT then I went into their site and they do NOT take pigeons. I called them and talked to a couple women. They won't take the little guy, but suggested I go into the DNR website to find a licensed rehabilitator in my area.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Free Web Site Counter