Cherokee Rose

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Last night seemed so eerie and lonely. When nighttime came, I became very anxious worrying about Brinks. I thought for sure she would fly back before sundown to her safe place and where her food and water is. She didn't come. I left the window open and the lights on and even had her heartbeat machine on in case she was trying to find the house. But she didn't come. I laid awake a lot of the night. It just seems so odd that she isn't there with me.

I saw a group of pigeons today at the expressway and I could have sworn one of them was Brinks. I rolled down my window and yelled "Brinks...Brinks"...I think the pigeon turned its head. There was so much noise from the traffic, I doubt if I was heard....and I doubt if it was Brinks. But it helps to think it was....that she's doing her bird thing with other pigeons and she's happy.
____________________________________

When I got home I received some bad news. A friend of mine who use to own the condo next to mine in Caseville called to tell me that another former condo friend had passed away. I couldn't believe it. She and her husband use to own one of the upstairs condo apartments. Their family would come up and stay....sometimes having 10 people sleeping, and we would all party. They were a fun bunch of people. I adored Geri. Even though she was older than me we got along great and I loved her like a second mom. We would sit in her place or out on the deck talking for hours. We'd go shopping in town or in Bad Axe. We both loved our rum & cokes...haha! After her husband died, she kept the place for a few years and then sold it. She lives quite a ways from me, but I've been to her place a couple times. Mainly we kept in touch by phone. Now that tax season is over, I was just thinking the last couple days that I want to call Geri before I leave for Caseville and then go visit her when I get back before the busy summer comes. I was also hoping maybe I could pick her up and she could go with me for a few days and see my new place. I was just thinking of doing that and now I find out that she died Sunday. We went to the funeral home tonight.

Everybody that we use to see all the time in Caseville were there. We haven't seen them since she sold her condo probably close to 8-9 years ago. It was nice reminesing (sp?) about "the good ole days". And those were definitely the best times. We had a blast back then. We would all go into the bar and party. One night after the bar closed around 2:00 a.m., we all decided to go take a dip in the lake. So we went and got our bathing suits on and ran down to the beach and ran out into the lake...pitch dark! We were drunk....haha. The friend that called me with the news had taken a picture of us and it was one of the pictures posted at the funeral home. Geri's favorite song she always wanted the DJ to play was "Wooley Bully"!! They said they might play it tomorrow at the funeral.




"Hey Geri...let's have a rum & coke and dance to Wooley Bully!!!....I'll miss you my friend..."

This picture was taken about 10 years ago...Dick died in 1996, so I'm guessing it was 1998 or so.

2 Comments:

  • At 2:53 AM, Blogger JUST A MOM said…

    oh Diane I ma sorry to hera of yoru friend.. I am telling you when one time I make it there you and I will have to go up to caseville been way many years..

     
  • At 10:53 AM, Blogger Diane said…

    That would be fun! I feel so overwhelmed right now...I feel like I lost Brinks and now I lost my friend. What a week!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Free Web Site Counter