Cherokee Rose

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

FREE AS A BIRD......

I truly understand the meaning now of being "free as a bird". Brinks is free now.

We watched her glorious white wings flapping and sailing across the blue sky.

It was amazing.

I sobbed and cried....partly because I will miss her so, but mainly because I am so happy for her.


We started out opening up the window, but she wasn't interested. We coaxed her and I even stuck my head out the window and flapped my arms. No deal. She wasn't having any of it. I finally took her and put her feet on sill, where she wrapped her pigeon toes tightly and flapped her wings to keep from falling out the window...haha. We decided that maybe she was scared of the height.

So we took her outside in her cage on the patio. Normally, she tries to get out. But I think she knew something was up and she decided she wanted to stay in her "safe world". She seemed content being in the cage. We opened the door and she wasn't interested. We coaxed her with teddy bears. I put Little Green Bear on one of the patio chairs to try and get her to come out on her own. She put one foot out and turned around and went back inside. Finally, she got brave and curious and put both feet out and stood on the patio table checking out her new freedom.

I pointed to the roof of the family room and told her she could go up there....and that is what she decided to do. She flapped her wings and was up on the roof. She walked around up there and flew over to the garage roof and walked around. She flew out and made a small circle by the patio table and went back to the roof.

Then out of the blue, she just started flapping her wings and went straight up high into the air. She did a small circle....higher and a bigger circle.....way higher and a larger circle and then flew a straight shot eastward...East is where my son found her originally.

She is going home.

Pigeons have an amazing homing instinct. I watched a video and they explained that pigeons can pick up the Earth's magnetic field. They explained that when you release them, they will circle around a couple times to get their bearings and then they will head home.

A PIGEONS PRAYER....

Please Watch Over Us While We Fly;

Keeping Us Safe From The Predators That Share The Sky;

If We Become Ill Or Injured In Any Way;

Please Lead Us To Safety Where We Are Welcome To Stay.


I love you Brinks!

Be Safe.....

3 Comments:

  • At 2:37 AM, Blogger JUST A MOM said…

    Diane I am so proud of you both... you are a great bird mommy you did a great job with her.. I am sure you will see her again just you wait and see she will be sitting on the sill one day when you look out... I hurt for you ,,, you did a great job.

     
  • At 11:52 AM, Blogger Diane said…

    Thank you Jaye...I needed that. I can't stop crying. I just hope she's okay.

     
  • At 3:55 PM, Blogger Happy Housewife said…

    Awww..*Sniff* If I wasn't on so much Zoloft I'd be crying too! :-(
    I'm sorry you had to let her go but now she can go have some real babies!
    You did a kind, kind thing.
    Love, Holly

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Free Web Site Counter